Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Our last day with the old Dodge Caravan...Sniff...

I know it seems weird to be sad to see my old van go the way of the trade-in but I'm really going to miss it. We bought Violet (why my daughter chose this name, I don't know) new back in 2002. In the nine years we had this van, it was a truly faithful servant. We went everywhere in Violet. It wasn't until the summer of 2011 that mechanical problems appeared. We made a few attempts to put things right but it soon became apparent that the job was not going to be worth the effort. So, off to the car dealer for a new Jeep Patriot.

I'm going to miss Violet. Her passing marks the end of a phase in my life where a minivan full of kids was normal. Saying goodbye to this van also meant admitting to myself that I'm not a young dad anymore. Yet another little part of getting older, I guess.

My daughter, in particular, was sad to see the van go. We bought Violet when she was three weeks old. This was the only car my daughter ever really knew and saying goodbye was a weepy experience for her. I don't blame her a bit. We had a lot of good times with this van.

So, Violet, I hope you find a nice second home for yourself. We have enjoyed the ride :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Kerstin Shed said...

“Saying goodbye to this van also meant admitting to myself that I'm not a young dad anymore.” – Well, we cannot stop time. And I do understand where you are coming from. It is really hard to let go of something that means so much to you and reminds you of your youth. But at times, we have to let it go and move forward. Maybe something better will come along. :)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Very true indeed.

4:28 AM  
Blogger Ellsworth said...

9 years? You surely got the best out of Violet. Being sad to see her go is not weird at all Eric. She's been with you guys for so long and also because you loved her much. I can tell that you took good care of her.

Ellsworth Mciltro

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Site Counter