Sunday, July 06, 2014

In praise of FM

The one glaring omission in Samsung's latest smartphones is the decision to take out the FM radio. The old HTC One X pictured he has a very nice digital radio built in as did my old HTC Inspire. While I understand that streaming media like Pandora is all the rage these days, FM still has it's place in my opinion.

First off, FM does not use you data plan. If you are lucky (or wealthy) enough to have an unlimited data plan then stream away with your Pandora app to your heart's content. But, if you are like most folks, streaming media is for use when on WiFi only. Secondly, FM will work even when you can't get a data signal. This is especially useful when in poorly served rural areas and when traveling abroad where data is expensive for Americans.

Why Samsung omitted the FM hardware is really beyond me. They choose to include a boat load of other features, many of which are frankly of dubious value in my opinion. As I understand it, HTC still gives you FM on the new HTC One M8. Come upgrade time, that's where I'll be going.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Talk about versatility. I don’t know about you but there are two things I always have to have on me when I leave the house, my wallet and my Galaxy S5. This case helps simplify your life by combining both into one easy package. The case provides 3 slots for credit cards and business cards and a bigger pocket behind those for cash. The strap to keep the case closed uses magnets for a secure hold. This will not affect your phone negatively. The case also has another great feature we love, a stand. You can fold it back for easy viewing. With 3 color options, black white and brown, you can choose the color that is right for you. Also, you don’t have to miss out on protection. The case is made of leather which feels great in the hand. Inside that your Galaxy S5 is kept in a hard shell polycarbonate for great protection. While it does have a MSRP of $29.99 we found a great deal when you can get this case for almost 50% off. Don’t wait because sales like this do not last forever. Click here to get almost 50% off this case and wallet combo. Galaxy S5 Cases

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Site Counter